Call: ARISE Europe
Published: 21 May 2015
Deadline: The deadline for applications is June 25, 2015.
EIT Digital is a leading European open innovation organization driving the digitization of society. It brings together entrepreneurs in digital innovation and education. It builds on a strong partnership of over 130 top European corporations, SMEs, start-ups, universities and research institutes. EIT Digital accelerates market uptake of research-based digital technologies and supplies entrepreneurial talent and leadership to Europe.
Arise Europe is a program of EIT Digital designed with the ambition to stimulate regional growth in EU countries where EIT Digital is not present with one of its Node or Associate Partners. Its objective is to connect local and regional Innovation Centres to EIT Digital's innovation and education ecosystem. Regional Innovation Centres are organizations (e.g., incubators, accelerators, regional clusters) typically bringing together investors, students, academia, start-ups, SMEs. Arise Europe provides them the framework for a collaboration with EIT Digital and its partners in order to create value through: co-branded activities for ecosystem stimulation; joint support to boost technology projects and startups at the European level; improved mentoring, market access & fundraising opportunities; enhancement of the quality of local digital professionals.
ARISE Europe is looking for excellent Innovation Centres (e.g. accelerators incubators, regional clusters) willing to team up and co-invest with EIT Digital in order to boost the growth of their ecosystems.
Innovation Centres from the following countries can apply: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Greece, Ireland, Malta, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia.
The selected Innovation Centres will work and co-invest with EIT Digital towards enhancing their existing and continuing initiatives by:
- Jointly supporting the growth of local Innovation and Education ecosystems;
- Getting connected to a network of about 130 EIT Digital's Partners representing global companies, leading research centres and top ranked universities;
- Linking their ecosystem to EIT Digital's Innovation Activities, Business Development, Business Communities, Access to Finance, Idea Challenge, Professional School;
- Strengthening own capabilities, skills and their offer to local ecosystems;
- Improving the innovation power of local digital professionals by getting them involved in EIT Digital's blended education approach.
EIT Digital seeks to extend the scope and amplify the impact of its own, as well as the partnering Innovation Centres', activities through agreement aimed at mutual benefits. For its part, EIT Digital and its partners will facilitate the access to their innovation and education tools: its Pan-European Business Development Accelerator, its Access to Finance team, its Professional School and its Business Communities.
Applications can be submitted online only through our application portal: http://www.f6s.com/eitictlabsariseeurope/about
The online application consists of a brief questionnaire about the applying organization, its history and past successes, its ecosystem and the service it provides to the latter, its competences, skills and key resources, as well as about its plans for the future and the major benefits they expect from the collaboration with EIT Digital.
The deadline for applications is June 25, 2015.
The selection process will go through two stages. During the first stage, the submitted applications will be evaluated and shortlisted by an Evaluation Committee appointed by the head of EIT Digital's Arise Europe program. The evaluation criteria for this stage are the following ones:
- The Innovation Centre has a track record in building and maintaining its local innovation ecosystem.
- The Innovation Centre has living contacts with regional universities, research organizations, business innovators, start-ups.
- The Innovation Centre has a track record in offering services to its ecosystem (e.g., co-location spaces, incubation, training opportunities, education, events, hackathons, access to finance, etc.).
- The Innovation Centre has a strong experience in start-up/SME coaching and business support at the local or regional level.
- The Innovation Centre has experience in running and maintaining accelerator activities and in helping large and small companies to work together.
- The Innovation Centre has demonstrated means to continue its successful activities in 2015-2017.
- The Innovation Centre is seeking to expand its activities at the European level and it provides a clear outline of visions for benefiting from the collaboration with EIT Digital.
- The application has been submitted using the call instructions and all relevant information is provided.
The second stage will consist in the discussion and negotiation of the content of the cooperation with the shortlisted applicants. The discussion and negotiation will turn around the activities to be performed, the funding requested and co-financing made available by the shortlisted organizations. The final selection will be made according to the best balance among these three elements. In order to start the second stage, shortlisted applicants will be contacted by July 5, 2015 to schedule on-site visits by the Evaluation Committee to be conducted by July 31, 2015.
Framework for Collaboration
EIT Digital intends to enter into annual agreements for collaboration with the selected Innovation Centres, which can be renewed depending on the outcomes of a stage-gate process.
The selected Innovation Centres will need to sign a sub-granting agreement with a dedicated EIT Digital Partner to obtain the financial support covering claimed eligible costs, according to EIT rules, up to a maximum of 60K Euro on an annual basis. The exact amount will be determined during the second stage of the selection process, according to the details (content, duration, Innovation Centre's co-financing) of the annual agreement. For year 2015, the work must be carried out, and the results must be delivered, between September-December 2015.
Confidentiality & liability
All interested parties undertake to preserve the confidentiality of any document, information or other material received that is duly classed as confidential, if disclosure could cause prejudice to the other party.
To the maximum extent permitted by law, under no circumstances and under no legal theory whether in tort (including negligence) contract or otherwise shall EIT Digital nor its partner be liable for any special indirect, punitive, incidental or consequential damages, including loss of profit.
For more information on the Arise Europe call, please, contact Fabio Pianesi (firstname.lastname@example.org)